90,000 square feet of building + 40,000 in the rear curved building (see location page) - built was in 1865, during the CIvil War, as a storage facility for military medical supplies. The building was completed around the end of the war, as it appears on a map of Louisville and its defences in June 1865. The building was then used for several businesses throught the following decades.
the MAMMOTH past.
It appears that the first of these was McFERRAN, ARMSTONG & CO., producer of Magnolia Hams. From the Kentucky Historical Society: "Below is a lithograph created by the Louisville Steam Lithography Co. for ”Caron’s Louisville Directory”, 1876. It is an illustration at the center of an ad for McFerrin, Armstrong & Co., pork packers, provision dealers, and makers of Magnolia Hams.
As stated in the ad, the office was at 78 Main St. and the packing house and smoke house were on the corner of 13th. & Maple Sts. Pictured is the three story packing and shipping building with the smokehouse building to the rear. There are two sets of tracks in front of the building, with two boxcars and a flat car on the tracks beside the loading dock and a locomotive rounding the corner on the tracks closest to the viewer. Three wagons filled with barrels, a buggy, and four pedestrians can also be seen outside the building. Schmidt #1153 (Dentist ad) is on the other side.
The firm was established in 1863 as McFerran, Menefee & Co., became Mitchell, Armstrong & Co., then McFerran, Armstrong & Co., and in 1876 McFerran, Shallcross & Co. It was located at the corner of 13th. & Maple Sts. In 1891, it was curing and packing about 400,000 hams annually. The 1876 advertisement notes that it had ”485 feet on railroad track” and could ”load 17 cars at once”." On the Card it reads:
McFERRAN, ARMSTONG & CO.
OFFICE: 741 MAIN ST. PACKING HOUSE and SMOKE HOUSE 13th and MAPLE ST.
Front on Railroad track 485 feet
LARGE BUILDING AT LEFT IN THE REAR
- - - - - - - - - -
Can load 12 Cars at once
ABOUT 300,000 MAGNOLIA HAMS.
THE BEST HAMS
MADE IN THE COUNTRY
LOUISVILLE KY -- --- ? --- ---
Cellar under Main Building
WITH STORAGE CAPACITY FOR 5,000,000 POUNDS
B U L K M E A T S
Two Steam Elevators
IN THE WEST WITH CAPACITY FOR SMOKING
POUNDS MEAT AT ONCE.
More about Magnolia Hams:
And we now have a date for the Louisville Paper Co. from this 1919 issue of SPARKS by the Rotary